Dallas Legal Help with Copyright Protection
Copyright law protects creative works, such as books, poems, plays, movies, music, photos, art, architectural designs, even computer programs.
Registering the copyright of your intellectual property enables you to more easily protect your works, and makes suits on infringements easier to win if someone copies your registered works. While U.S. and international courts allow you to sue for infringement if someone copies your unregistered works, copyright registration with the Library of Congress (or the WIPO) raises the stakes against those who might attempt to steal your work with statutory damages and the potential award of attorney fees, which are not allowed for unregistered works.
At Norred Law, PLLC, we help clients understand:
- How to protect your creative works: Sometimes a creative work can and should be protected in multiple ways. Architects and engineers, for example, may choose to seek both trademark and copyright protection for different aspects of a set of building designs.
- Where you need to protect your intellectual property: In our highly interconnected world, your creative works travel more freely than you do. They need to be protected in the U.S. and across the globe. The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Copyright Treaty (WCT) is the vehicle for ensuring international copyright protection across about 100 countries. Despite the existence of this treaty, however, U.S. copyright and European copyright still contain differences (and the deviations can be even more significant in other countries). Dallas copyright lawyer Warren Norred can assist you with copyright registration in most other nations.
- How to maximize the value of your creative work: Licensing agreements [link to copyright licensing] and distribution agreements are two methods for expanding the reach of your work and maximizing your profit.
- From whom to protect your creative assets: Creative industries often hire artists, writers, composers, etc., as independent contractors for the creation of creative work. Properly drafted work-for-hire agreements ensure that your company owns the intellectual property created at your direction and on your dime.
Protecting Your Interests In Any Copyright Matter
Norred Law invites screenwriters, filmmakers, visual artists, musicians and music publishing companies to contact us with concerns about copyright infringement. We have pursued copyright litigation to protect every imaginable kind of creative work, including:
- Illegal duplication, performance and broadcast of your print and musical works.
- Illegal use of protected assets on social media sites. (We’ve also represented clients in cases involving charges of libel, slander and defamation resulting from activities that took place online.)
- Pirating of protecting material on file sharing networks (like BitTorrent)
Contact an Experienced Fort Worth Copyright Law Attorney
Talk to Dallas copyright law attorney Warren Norred for sound legal advice and effective trial court representation. Contact Norred Law PLLC, or call us at 817-704-3984 to schedule a consultation via Skype, over the phone or at our Arlington office, Southlake office, Weatherford office, or Dallas Office.